GRACIE BARRA is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Association with over 500 schools on six continents. Jiu-Jitsu is well known in the mma world and originated in Brazil. The organization was founded by Carlos Gracie, Jr. He is known as Master Carlos. He was born on January 17, 1956. He grew up heavily influenced by his family, especially his father Carlos Gracie Sr. and his brother Rolls Gracie. While working as Roll’s assistant instructor, Rolls suddenly died and Carlos was asked to assume the head instructor role. As of the latest count from the organization, they have graduated more than 600 black belts in Jiu-Jitsu all over the world.
GRACIE BARRA JIU JITSU
When Carlos Gracie Junior settled in Barra da Tijuca, many of the students he had coached at Rolls Gracie’s academy in Copacabana followed him. Practitioners such as Jean Jacques Machado (who helped in the coaching at Gracie Barra in the early days), Renzo & Ryan Gracie and many others. Soon the word spread among the surfing community and local tough guys that a Gracie was coaching in Barra da Tijuca and the gym quickly filled up.
The very first Gracie Barra school was first founded in the neighborhood of Barra da Tijuca in Rio de Janeiro in 1986. Within a few years Carlos Gracie Jr. was able to turn Gracie Barra into one of the most dominant teams in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
They won many consecutive world titles. Despite the outstanding results in tournaments, Carlos Gracie Jr. worked hard to create a positive learning environment where all kinds of people could learn the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. At the school, people can see world champions training with lawyers, doctors, business men, etc. on a mutual supportive environment dedicated to development of the individual and strengthening of the team spirit.
MOST IMPORTANT REASONS TO TRY JIU-JITSU
1. Jiu-jitsu is a great source of cardiovascular exercise which promotes good overall health.
2. The use of Jiu-jitsu is a great core workout which helps a person with overall stability and balance.
3. In addition to the health benefits, Gracie Jiu-Jitsu teaches very important self-defense techniques that may help to save a person’s life if caught in a situation with a physically aggressive opponent.
4. When a person knows how to defend himself or herself physically, they feel more confident!
5. The discipline known as Jiu-jitsu is a very family-oriented sport. It’s a lifestyle that can be practiced by a family as a whole.
6. The more well-versed a person is in jiu-jitsu, the more they learn to be calm under pressure, which can help a person learn to relax during normal hectic problems of their daily encounters.
7. Since jiu-jitsu is a close contact martial art with many training partners, it’s a great way to make friends.
8. Promotes a healthy diet. Whether a person trains competitively or leisurely, it’s common for practitioners of the sport to adopt the entire jiu-jitsu lifestyle, which entails a healthy diet.
9. Learning the intricate jiu-jitsu techniques helps promote problem solving and critical thinking skills.
10. Jiu-Jitsu is for everybody, regardless of age, sex, or physical limitations! Based on the gentle nature of jiu-jitsu, its range of practitioners is vast!